Tuesday, August 2

Práctica

Tomorrow I start my internship (práctica) with a program called Explora. a sort of foundation for science and technology that has offices in cities throughout Chile. The office in Valdivia where I will be working covers the region of Los Ríos. They organize exhibitions and workshops for various things like astronomy or microbiology, and they create science clubs in the local elementary schools to teach kids more science than they normally are exposed to. The program also holds huge "congresos" that sound like science fair competions, and the best projects go to the national convention. This year the national convention in in Puerto Montt and I might get to go with them!


Their website is: http://www.explora.cl/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=31&Itemid=114

They even gave me a backpack!


In other news, classes at the University started today, but they are still 1st semester classes. According to the calendar that they sent us today, second semester classes don't start until September 5! At least I have a job to do until then.



One of the schools I might be working with is the German elementary school, which my 8-year-old host brother attends. They require everyone to learn German and English as well as Spanish and science and math and everything else. The German influence here  is everywhere, not only in the popular foods but also in some of the architecture. The view out my bedroom window shows that every house in this neighborhood seems to have a very pointy roof...




One food seems to be a staple here, one I wasn't expecting: hot dogs. They are literally everywhere. Most places offer "italianos," which have tomatoes and guacamole on them, or "completos," which have mayo, sauerkraut, tomatoes, palta (like guacamole), and mustard. Das gute nahrung!

No comments:

Post a Comment