Saturday, December 3

Parque Urbano


The latest field trip for Ecosystems of Chile was to a green space fenced into the city of Valdivia called Parque Urbano El Bosque. Below are the results of my discovery of the "macro" function on Will's camera:


The strange orange fruits are from a tree called Micato, they smell like honey and you can make tea with them that relieves stomach pain. On the left are tiny leaves and silly looking seeds from a tree called Pelú, and on the right is a flower that I don't know the name of.


 This class has two students, María (right) and me. Our professors Andrés and Patricia (left), who also happen to be married, work at the Centro de Estudios Agrarios/Ambientales, or Center of Agro/Environmental Studies, where Heraldo (middle) works as their bird and GIS expert.


Today was our last class. The strangest thing was that they had a catalogue on the table today that sold hunting supplies from - guess where - Wiscasset, Maine. What a small world = ¡como el mundo es un pañuelo! That literally translates to "the world is a handkercheif" but the meaning is clear.


Food of the day: apricots! I had never eaten fresh apricots before, only dried ones, and they were so good I ate 5 of them. This is one of Chile's big fruit exports.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jessie, that purple flower looks like it could be a type of foxglove (I think the latin name is digitalis something). I think they use this to make modern heart medicine. Not sure about any of this but thought I'd pass it on. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete